Hostile Environment Awareness Training (HEAT)
HEAT is a 5-day immersive security training designed to enhance participants’ security and safety awareness and enable them to prevent and deal more effectively with risks, challenging situations and security incidents while travelling or working in hostile environments.
Level: high intensity.
Environment: high-risk and medium-risk.
Language: English or Italian.
Duration: 5 days (from Monday at 8.00 till Friday 19.30).
Location: Massa (Tuscany) and outdoor training facilities (Tuscany or Emilia Romagna region).
Target: personnel from the private sector, NGOs, journalists, academia, International Organisations and European Institutions.
Pre-condition for participation: prior to course enrolment participants are requested to provide a valid medical certificate of good health for non-competitive sports, since the training entails a certain level of psychological and physical stress, and to complete specific online training.
Precautionary measures: during the field training exercise a certified psychologist and medical unit are present for guaranteeing the safety of participants. For those participants with minor health or psychological issues admitted to the training, extra measures might be taken for their protection. All participants are provided with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Methodology: A unique combination of self-assessment, mentorship and LEVEL5 competence validation system, strengthens the security awareness of participants through a process of experiential learning, self-reflection and coaching. Participants practice and rehearse different types of scenario-based exercises individually and in team.
Content: the HEAT training is designed in line with the standard of the ENTRi/ESDC curriculum.
1. Security and Safety of Personnel Deployed in Hostile Environments
3. Navigation & Orientation
4. Medical Skills & Health Maintenance on Mission, including Stress Management
5. Checkpoint Negotiation (Official & Unofficial) Including Conflict Management
6. Weapons, Mines, Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) and Improvised Explosive Device (IED) Awareness
7. Hostage Taking & Coping After Capture
8. Compound / Base Security and Drills
9. Working with Close Protection (CP)/Convoy Security
Driving Techniques in Hostile Environment (urban & off-road packages)
Focus on covid-19 prevention measures: trainings are organised in compliance with Italian relevant national and regional regulations aimed at preventing the spread of covid-19. Theoretical and practical sessions are carried out at appropriate locations, functional for maintaining social distancing between participants. Trainees are also provided with medical masks and alcohol-based hand rub, and individual sanitized PPE to be used during the training. Sanitation and disinfection measures are in place at all times. During the training introduction, a specific session will be devoted to precautionary measures to be adopted during the course by participants and the training team.
The training package includes:
- Accommodation for 6 nights (4 nights in Massa at walking distance from the seaside and 2 nights at the outdoor training facilities in Emilia Romagna)
- Full board, from dinner on Sunday till breakfast on Saturday
- Transport during the training week from/to Hotel to/from training facilities, including the outdoor training area
- Welcome event and farewell dinner
- 5-day training including mentorship and individual coaching during the Field Training Exercise
- Individual online meeting one week after the training for additional feedback
- Course material and additional readings
- Use of sanitized Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) during the training
- Certificate of attendance and LEVEL5 validation of the competence of security awareness
- Our Smart Revolution Security gadget